I have not been charged with a crime, but I am being investigated by state and/or federal authorities, what should I do?

If you know you are being investigated in connection with a criminal offense, especially a felony offense, you should consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately. By involving an attorney at an early stage, the attorney will be able to give you advice as to whether you should make any statements to investigators or allow a search of your property. You do not have to give a statement to the police. Any statement can and will be used against you. Likewise, unless the police have a search warrant, you have an absolute right not to allow the police to search your property. You do not have to consent to the search. Politely refuse. In addition, an experienced attorney, if called during the investigation stage, can often: (1) obtain information regarding the investigation so that you can make intelligent decisions regarding how to proceed; (2) attempt to convince investigators and/or prosecutors not to go forward with a prosecution; (3) in state court felony cases, make a presentation to the grand jury on your behalf urging that it not return an indictment against you; and (4) make arrangements so that, if you are eventually charged, you can turn yourself in, so as to avoid being arrested at your home or work.

Phone Numbers

Office: (214) 538-6629

Office Location

4015 Main Street, Suite 100
Dallas, TX 75226
Phone: (214) 538-6629
HTML Sitemap